Thursday, October 16, 2014

Imperial Leather

One of the simplest and yet most effective in the long, long Star Wars line, the innocuously named Imperial Gunner is a favourite for his sleek lines and black-suited frame with just a hint of colour peeking through the visor and basic shoulder emblems to signify his sinister allegiance.  

IG has a provocative name which helps his reputation, and while his place in the film Return of the Jedi (1983, ROTJ) is merely incidental, he's achieved cult status mainly by being associated with the "Last 17" club (meaning he was late to arrive and consequently, now more scarce on the secondary market).  How could the extras employed to be "Imperial Gunners" have ever known they would become so sought-after, in 3 3/4 inch scale?  Did they ever work again I wonder; did they need to?  A MOC IG belies his relative youthfulness and would be beyond most folks' means to purchase in the modern era (certainly more than I have to spare).

But, in the absence of his royal mintness, I did manage to pick up a bargain on the photographed chap who is near-mint, original and complete.  I must confess at this point to an atrocity.  I did own IG in my first childhood.  Foolishly, while I retained a preferred characters stash, I sold the rest to a slick Comic Shop dude, and IG went to a new home.  Of course, it wasn't until sometime later that I realised the significant error in judgement.  There's actually another two, even more shocking confessions as part of that same transaction, but I'll save them for their figure.  Plus I need time to prepare myself emotionally.


Insofar as army builders go, IG would be one of the most expensive to assemble, which is why personally I've stacked the war deck with mirrors and thrown-in a few Imperial Commanders, to create the illusion of a full IG staffing cohort.  If you prefer not to cheat, then drink plenty of water and keep those kidneys healthy for an imminent sale.

He's not especially rare on the secondary market, though having said that, nor is he in abundance; what's invariably more difficult to source is his elusive and microscopic pistol which now costs as much as the figure itself (!) ... for an eight-millimetre plastic tag that you could lose in the threads of your own pocket...??  Sometimes I wonder, I really do.    


Imperial Gunner | 1984 | Kenner | Star Wars POTF

No comments:

Post a Comment